What to do if you think you have been exposed to asbestos
This article explains what you should do if you think you have been exposed to asbestos
What to do if you think you have found asbestos in your home
If you are doing DIY work on your home, and you think you have found asbestos, you should seek immediate advice from an environmental health officer, or your local council. They will be able to tell you who to contact to remove the asbestos, and what steps you should take to protect yourself.
What to do if you think you have inhaled asbestos
If you think you have been exposed to asbestos it is normal to be concerned about the effects you might have on your health. However, rest assured that, in most cases, the risk to your health from short term asbestos exposure is very low.
Developing an asbestos related condition is much more likely to happen if you have breathed in a considerable amount of asbestos fibres, over a considerable amount of time.
Nevertheless, if you are concerned you should ask your GP to make a note of possible exposure in your personal records. If you have asbestos related symptoms then you may require a chest X-ray, but this is down to your doctor’s opinion.
When to see your GP
If you think you might have been exposed to asbestos in the path, and you are finding that you have symptoms of an asbestos related condition, it is important that your GP knows. But, it is not a reason to worry. Most people do not develop life-threatening lung disease as a result of exposure to asbestos.
Talk to your GP about:
- Past or present jobs with asbestos risk
- Living with someone who works/worked in a job with asbestos risk
- DIY or other projects where you may have been exposed to asbestos
- Your symptoms or concerns